Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Witchy Literature: Living Wicca- Scott Cunningham

I love Goodreads to pieces. I started before my friends and before I was a witch. Now I have friends on it and can't track my thoughts and feelings on my witchy books. 

This is the first post of Witchy Literature where I talk about the current book I'm reading that is helping me grow in my practice. I plan on updating my status on Witchy Literature at least at the beginning, the middle and the end of a book. If there is something awesomely cool about something I find in a random section, I'll share, but this is a general anticipation. I always buy physical copies and I cover them with book covers made from paper bags!

Currently I am reading Living Wicca: A Further Guide for the Solitary Practitioner, by Scott Cunningham. This is the second book by Scott Cunningham that I am reading, the first being Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner. I recently finished his first guide which was actually the first book regarding witchcraft I had ever read. I bought it before I traveled, but I didn't bring it (long story). I liked the first one pretty well as a basic 101, but I do hope his next one is a bit more updated. I have heard that people like this second guide a lot and I would have bought it first, however, I have a quirk where I hate going out of order. That being said, I read the first one and now I look forward to this one. 

Enough chit chat about my background with Scott Cunningham's books!

I purchased this book from a small local metaphysical store by my house. I like to have physical books in general, but I feel it is essential to have physical copies of spiritual books as references to look back on. 

At the moment I am on page 13. My first impressions of the book are oh my gosh Scott Cunningham has a way of getting me so pumped! I love the way he writes, it isn't like a daunting knowledge guru, or a distant teacher. Cunningham writes his books in a way that makes me feel like I am having my own session with him to help me out with the questions I have. The Universe is definitely answering every one of my questions while I read the book as well as reaffirming things that I have found out for myself. 

Cunningham separates his book in sections. I have only read the first section, but already I feel as though a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. Instead of feeling the overwhelming feeling of being a solitary witch that has to be self-taught, I feel incredibly empowered! As I read the principles of being a successful solitary witch I was reaffirmed, "Heck yes! I get to walk a path that is completely my own, I no longer walk a path that in some areas feels unnatural! If something doesn't feel right, I can change it." 

Sometimes I have a feeling when I am doing something that I have to hurry up. If I'm writing in my Book of Mirrors/Stars I feel that as soon as I place my pen down on the page I have to hurry up. Sometimes this is because I'm afraid I will loose my thought, but other times it's just impatience. This first part of this book really spoke to me in a comforting way. I don't have to hurry up and walk my spiritual path, I get to have fun piecing everything together over time. It will change and SHOULD change for me if I want to truly grow. I am just super excited to continue reading this book because I can tell from the first section that it is a positive and empowering step to my journey. 

The Closet Witch

Coming Up: How I celebrate the Esbats
Coming Up After: Divination

No comments:

Post a Comment