Thursday, November 27, 2014

My Portable Dorm Altar Kit

Hello again!


This week is Thanksgiving week in the United States. I thought I'd go into what witchy things I take with me to my dorm and when I travel to and from the dorm.

Packing for a dorm is a little bit up in the air sometimes. "Should I bring 10 or 5 pairs of shoes,", &, "Do I really need ALL of my blankets?". The major bummer for me though, was that I couldn't bring any candles or incense. Sad day. Well through some brain storming I finally settled on these things for my portable altar to keep in my room. In fact, this is my first official altar because I have been traveling so much I needed something small! Keep in mind this was collected over a years' time, so, unless you are leaving soon, it's actually really fun to slowly add miniatures to a portable altar for when you have to leave.

Oh là là!



Above is the basket that I keep everything in along with my Book of Mirrors/ Stars. I purchased both at Hobby Lobby.



This is my altar cloth that I also purchased at Hobby Lobby for I think $1.00. It was a bandana cloth. Ignore the leftover wax haha. It's about 21 x 21 inches.




Here are my representations for the God and Goddess. I purchased both of these off of eBay. The stag is actually supposed to be a hair accesory and the Moon came with a few others that I keep to form the triple moon during Esbats.



Here are my representations of the elements. Earth is represented by the vial of sand from a beach close to my hometown. I bought the vials from eBay as well, 4 in a package. I actually put water into the mini chalice which I believe is from an old Barbie doll collection that somehow found its way into my foot one day upon awakening. Not my best morning. However, now I have an itty bitty cute chalice! Air is represented by the feather charm, I purchased this off of eBay and it came with another one (which I fully intend to make into a necklace because it's pretty!). Fire is represented by a flickering candle that I bought from Hobby Lobby as well. Last, but not least, is the pentacle, it's a penny with a sharpie pentacle. I got this idea from Patti Wigington on one of the most helpful website of the beginning of my practice paganwiccan.about.com. The direct page that has this penny pentacle idea is: http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/shoppingandsupplies/ss/Portable_Altar_4.htm#step-heading




The box of crystals was actually given to me by my Mom because she knows I've always collected rocks and crystals since I was little. She got them in a small beach gift shop. I use these for colors mostly, especially since I'm not very familiar with a lot of crystal magic. The purple amethyst was a parting gift from a coworker while I was abroad. It was actually an out of the blue gift, but I love it!



This was originally a bookmark. I hold the angel in my hand and use it as an athame when casting my circles. When I go home and get to use candles I use the bottom of the angel end as a candle snuffer.




These two vials are thing to do and not do when collecting things in vials. DO: collect fun shells from the beach. DONT collect sea water or salt water into vials unless using them soon. Otherwise your vial will do this weird salt build up pirates-of-the-caribbean-esque thing haha.

I consecrated all of these items since they were in so many different hands before using them. I try not to get really obvious things when sending them to my parents' home because they like to open my mail (They never read who it is to). I also fold the pentacle into the altar cloth just in case I get a nosy roomate. 




This is the basket with everything in it (Excluding the Book of Mirrors/Stars, I like keeping that outside for easy access). 

Thank you for reading! I hope I helped anyone packing a portable kit!

Coming up: Books I am currently reading 
Coming up after:  Esbats!

The Closet Witch

No comments:

Post a Comment